Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Passion of Cooking!

For years I have claimed I could not determine my passion in life.  I will tell you I love to cook.  I love experimenting with my own recipes.  I grow my own herbs and many vegetables.  I love gardening and all the work the that goes with it.  I have always enjoyed entertaining although I do less and less every year.

After a great deal of thought I have decided cooking and gardening are my passions.  I used to just think I liked spending time in the kitchen and the garden but now after two weeks of cooking every day, I know for sure it's my passion. 

How did it come about?  A friend who has always used a personal chef told me their chef has decided to end this service to concentrate on other endeavors.  The friend said she had found a place online that would deliver and before I could check my tongue I blurted, "I'll cook for you!" 

About a week later my friend handed me a recipe and said this would be a trial.  It was an interesting recipe but very vague.  For instance, the recipe called for tomato sauce.  No size or flavor, just tomato sauce. 

To shorten the tale, I cooked for most of two days.  I made their recipe and one I like.  I froze each in glass containers lined with parchment, removed the contents from the containers and vacuum sealed the spicy concoctions in Food Saver bags.  Now my friend can just remove the dish from the freezer, drop it back into the glass dish and either microwave or bake it. 

When I mentioned what I was doing to a couple of people they wanted to participate as well.  Now after cooking for a solid week I still have not caught up with the orders.  Amazing!

Here's what's cooking this week:

Chicken Taco Soup
Vegetarian Taco Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Red Lentil Soup with Spinach
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
Ratatouille
Shepherd's Pie
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Chicken Pot Pie
Vegan Pot Pie
Parmesan Pork with Black Beans and Rice
Pot Roast Beef with Potatoes, Carrots, Celery
Maque Choux (Okra, Tomatoes and Corn)
Zucchini, Corn, Edamame Sauté
Squash Casserole
Broccoli Soufflé
Almond Green Beans
Berry Crunch
Snickerdoodle Cookies

This is the Maque Choux:


 
I'm not finished yet.  I'm up early and I stay up late but I have enjoyed my time in the kitchen.  I think when it's all wrapped up (pun intended) for this week I'll take a well deserved vacation. 





No comments:

Post a Comment